Monday, August 30, 2010

Make your own diaper pail deodorizer!!

I was browsing around online for things to combat diaper pail stink. I came across a lot of little disks that you throw into your pail, and these are simple enough to make, however, I need something I can throw together quickly and not have to wait for drying time.

So, I came up with this simple recipe. It's not really anything new, and I know I'm not the first to do it.

You'll need:
  • 1 box of baking soda
  • 1 bottle of your favorite fragrance oil or essential oil(You can pick these up at most craft stores in the soap making section for around $3 a bottle, which will go a long way since you are only using drops at a time)
  • 1 bowl to mix in, you'll want to use a bowl that you don't use for food preparation
  • Gloves to protect your skin, as some fragrance oils can burn skin if in direct contact.
  • 1 empty bottle with a shaker top - I'm recycling and using an empty parmesan cheese container, but an empty spice jar would work too as long as it's large enough.

Simply dump the entire box of baking soda into your bowl. Put on your gloves, and add 5 drops of your fragrance oil and mix until there are no clumps. This can take a while, but it's really important that you mix thoroughly. I run my fingers through it, and as the clumps come through, I break them up. If you feel the fragrance isn't strong enough, you may add another 3-4 drops, but you don't want to add too much!

Transfer the mixture into your bottle, and sprinkle into your diaper pail. Many moms recommend sprinkling the bottom and then again when the pail is half full.

This also makes a wonderful carpet deodorizer. Simply sprinkle onto your carpet, let sit for 30 minutes and vacuum up! This is what I do with any leftover sprinkles that won't fit into my bottle. I need to get an extra bottle. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment