Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday Fun

I just wanted to post a quick update on the soup I made the other night. It was AMAZING!

Even my picky eater loved it, and said, "Mom, you make the best dinners!" My 16 month old ate 2 small helpings of it. I recommend it to anyone looking for something a bit different. It was filling, and great for a cold day.

In the spirit of trying new things, I recently made a small set of gel air fresheners, using a recipe I found on TipNut.com. If you haven't visited that site, do so. It's an amazing resource for all of us DIY'ers.



Here is the recipe, it made 3 small fresheners.

1 box of Knox plain gelatin (4 packages per box, you will need all 4)
2 cups of water, divided
15-20 drops of fragrance oil
Food coloring, if desired
2 tablespoons of salt

Boil 1 cup of water and add food coloring.

In a small bowl, combine gelatin (all 4 packages) and salt. Stir in boiling water until completely dissolved. This took a bit, and a lot of stirring. You want to stir gently, so it doesn't foam.

Add 1 cup of cold water, and fragrance oil. Stir well.

Pour into small mason jars, or other decorative items. I have a bunch of plastic punch cups left over from a holiday party, so I used those. Chill 1-2 hours in the fridge, or until set.

The reason for the salt in this recipe is to help keep it from molding. I've had mine about a week now, and they haven't molded yet.

The cost to make these breaks down like so:

Gelatin - $1-$2 for the box
Water - Nominal
Fragrance oil - $3-$4 per bottle, but you only use a tiny bit, so I'm costing it at around $0.10
Food coloring - Again, nominal if you have it on hand
Salt - Nominal if you have it on hand

So, you can essentially make these for under $3 if you have these things on hand. The only thing you'll have to buy per batch is the gelatin.

I used a Fresh Linen scent in mine, and they smell wonderful.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoy mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment