Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Homemade Shower Soothers/Bath Bombs

Cold season is in full force in my household. 3 out of the 4 of us have one. It stinks big time! So, instead of running out and buying shower soothers, I decided to make my own. They are easy to make, and the ingredients are easy to find.

For those that don't know what shower soothers are, this is what I'm talking about:



You put them in the bottom of your shower, and they melt and release vapors while you shower. I love them. 


But, I'm also cheap. And, I love crafting. So, I opted for making my own. A few years ago, I had my own bath business. One of my best selling products was my bath bombs. They fizz when you put them in your tub, and are quite relaxing, and easily customizable to your own fragrance. 

Ingredients:
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup citric acid
10-20 drops eucalyptus oil (or other desired fragrance, peppermint is nice as well!)
2 tablespoons sweet almond oil
Food coloring (optional)
Witch hazel(just a spritz or two)

Mix all dry ingredients, then add oils. Blend well. Spritz with witch hazel, mixing quickly until it's moist yet crumbly. Don't overwet mixture. Press into molds(old ice cube tray works well) and let dry 24 hours.


I use silicone molds for most of my stuff like this. It makes it easy to unmold. But, you can use an old ice cube tray as well. Then, use 1-2 per bath/shower. 

That's it. Simple relief.



9 comments:

  1. does the almond oil have a scent? I dont care for the scent but would love to try to make this at home
    thanks
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lee,
    As I recall, it does not, or if it does, it is very light. I don't have any on hand right now to smell. You can also substitute another oil, such as vitamin e oil. I hope that helps!

    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm so relieved that you posted this after my disaster with the original "Vicks Disks" recipe found on Pinterest. I was unable to find citric acid anywhere and am in a time pinch. I wanted to make these as gifts for Christmas, is it ok to omit the citric acid, or is there a substitute for it? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found an article on ehow saying that cream of tartar could be used in place of citric acid in bath bomb recipes. It said to use half the amount of cream of tartar in place of the citric acid. But that citric acid is best, of course. Hopefully that is an ok substitute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sara,
    I'm sorry to hear of your disaster! I'm not sure of a substitute, so I hope that the cream of tartar works for you! I buy mine several places, but on Christmas Eve, it probably would have been hard to find. I usually get mine at either Walmart or Menards, it's by the canning supplies. I've also bought it buy the pound at the local health food store. I hope that these turn out better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where do you get the oils and that adorable mold? And does this work better than the baking soda one that you bake for 20 min?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing this my phone and it wouldn't let me select to notify me but will on this comment . . . weird

      Delete
    2. Sorry it took me a few days to reply! The oils I ordered online from Majestic Mountain Sage. The mold, if I remember correctly, I got on clearance after Valentine's Day at a hobby store like Hobby Lobby or something. And, I've never tried the baking soda ones that you bake. This recipe is the only one I've used.

      Delete
  7. do you need the citris acid? what does it do?

    ReplyDelete