With Halloween approaching, K made it very clear that she wanted to be Belle for Halloween this year. I'm not sure why Belle is her favorite princess, considering her favorite color is pink, and Belle's dress is yellow. I think it's because the dress up kit that she received for her birthday last year has no Belle dress in it, just Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty. I digress though.
Halloween time around here is usually a bit on the chilly side. When searching through the premade costumes at the stores, all of the dresses were on the shorter side, hitting around the knees. K didn't like the length, and I didn't like the thin material, knowing it wouldn't be warm enough. That's when she asked if I would make her costume.
In a moment of sheer madness, or complete and utter surprise at her faith in my sewing skills, I agreed. I love to sew, I'm decent at it, as long as it involves cotton and other "easy" materials to work with. Also, as long as it's not a fitted garment. I mostly sew home decor items or quilts. After browsing a couple of blogs and Pinterest, I realized that my promise to make her costume was going to be a bit more difficult to uphold. She wanted it sparkly, and shiny, which meant satins, organzas, chiffons, and the like. I took a deep breath(or 5) and headed to the craft store.
I purchased a few yards of yellow glitter costume satin and some sheer yellow organza. I came home, and got to work.
I didn't have a pattern, so I combined two different tutorials, and a few of my own elements to create her dress. It was a lot of trial and error, but it finally got there. Here is how I did it.
First, the links to the two tutorials I used:
I attached the skirt to the bodice by just pinning and gathering. I also ended up adding tie-straps to the bodice, to help with fitting.
I took the swag on the skirt off, and went back to the craft store. I bought yellow chiffon instead, and followed the same method for attaching it. I reattached the jewels. I also shortened the organza swag at the top, so it wasn't as droopy. While there, I also purchased some mesh tulle to make a petticoat to help fill out the skirt more.
Here is the finished dress. I added some rolled organza flowers where the bodice meets the skirt in the front, and I also added some lace detail at the bottom. With the petticoat and hoop skirt underneath, it fills out much better. The bodice looks crooked in this picture, due to my inability to tie the straps correctly.
I also purchased these shoes on clearance at Walmart. I then coated them in Mod Podge and glitter, cut out the strap in the middle, and she now has her own princess shoes.
I also made a pair of fingerless gloves to go with this costume, those are not pictured. For that, I followed Ashley's tutorial here: http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2010/10/looking-for-modern-bird-studios-250.html
And that, my friends, is K's Belle costume. It took me roughly a week to complete, because I would have to step back and think about how to do a certain step.