Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Old Fashioned Red Rock Candy

This was my grandmother's recipe. She use to make it every year at Christmas time, and it is still one of my favorite candies. Below it, I'll include instructions for changing the flavoring if you don't like cinnamon. Also, you will need a candy thermometer. She did not give me temperatures, as she just eyeballs it, so I've tried to include the stages, but I do not know the temps off hand.

What you'll need:
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup Red Hots
1 tsp butter
powder sugar

Combine sugar, corn syrup and water in a medium saucepan. Cook over low heat until sugar dissolves. Continue to cook until soft ball stage. Add Red Hots, stirring until melted. Cook to hard crack stage, stirring often. Remove from heat, add butter, stir slightly. Pour into a well greased 13x9 pan, break into pieces when cooled. Toss with powdered sugar to keep pieces from sticking.

To change up flavorings, you will wait to add them until it is finished cooking and add them when you do the butter. You may also want to add food coloring with the first step. You can purchase candy flavorings in little packages at some craft stores, I think even Walmart carries them. I've also made Butter Rum, Grape, and Apple this way.

Another tip, I make sure to pour it into a 13x9 glass pan with a lid, so that I can shake it up to help break up the pieces. You can also use a cookie sheet, just make sure it is well greased, or you'll never get the sticky stuff out!! To aid in cleaning the pan, I usually boil water in it when I'm finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment