Saturday, October 27, 2012

Quilt for Kids - A great cause!

First, let me start by saying that I am in no way affiliated with Quilts for Kids, nor did they ask me to write this on their behalf. So, the opinions expressed are my own.

When I started getting into quilting, I was extremely overwhelmed at the amount of cutting it involved. I was also having trouble piecing, because the blocks that I liked were intricate. I'm still not that great at it, but I'm getting better.

One day, while searching for a pattern that I could replicate easily, I stumbled upon the Quilt For Kids website. If you don't know what it is, please take a moment to visit their site. I have included their mission statement, taken directly from their website, below:

Transforming discontinued, unwanted and other fabrics into patchwork quilts that comfort children with life-threatening illnesses and children of abuse.

I thought this was a wonderful idea, and immediately signed up for a kit. They only have a few requirements. One, that the quilt be returned within 4-6 weeks. Two, that low loft batting be used. And three, no monofilament thread, only cotton or polyester wrapped cotton.




 I requested my first kit, and it arrived within a few days. This is what I received:
Squares
Strips, that you cut and piece.
Inside border
Outside border
Backing fabric
Binding fabric
Fabric Label
Instructions
 I followed the instructions exactly on how to piece this quilt together, and what came out was a colorful quilt! This is the first quilt I have ever completely, and I was surprised at how easy it was to complete! I mailed it back, and promptly requested a second kit.
This is the second kit I received. Bright, colorful, fun fabrics. I love that you never know what fabrics you are getting in your kit, and that this simple gesture will make a child smile!



Please note that both of my kits were 4-patch versions. They also have pinwheel patterns, as well as a disappearing 9 patch and a beginner version that is just blocks.

A few additional notes:
* At this time, they are not accepting new requests for kits, but you can still help out. You can donate a quilt made from your own stash, and download a pattern here.


*They have partnered with Downy, for the Touch of Comfort quilt campaign. What a wonderful sponsor to have, and I love the idea of this all together.


*You can also check to see where your local chapter is by going here. You can drop off quilts to the local chapter, instead of mailing them to headquarters. Don't have a local chapter? You can start one.

So, when you're crafting this holiday season, please consider this project. It only took me 3 days to do the second quilt. One day piecing, one day quilting, and one day finishing it up. That's only 3-4 hours a day, but this could easily be done in one weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment