Sunday, October 28, 2012

Resticking your Cricut Mats

My Cricut mats seem to lose their stick quite often. They get covered in lit and little paper bits, which is a bummer because I use them a lot to cut decals. I have seen several tutorials on recovering them with various products suck as Zig's 2 way glue, spray adhesive, and Ailene's Tacky glue mixed with water.

This is what my mats looked like after several uses. As you can see, there is lint, bits of paper, even marker on them.



 Close-up of the one on the right, which is the one I'll be doing.
 First, I sprayed it with some De-Solv-It and then scrubbed it with some steel wool to remove all of the lint and adhesive residue. It made quite the difference!



I found this at my local Walmart in the crafting section. It's cheaper than Zig's, at only $3 for the tube. I could not find Zig's anywhere, I searched Joann's, Hobby Lobby, and Michael's. I'm guessing the employees are clueless, but this will work just fine.

I spread some on the cleaned mat, and then spread it around more with a brush. You'll want to do a much more even coat than I did, but this glue came flooding out quickly. I just wiped off the excess with a paper towel.

Perhaps the most important part of using 2 way glue, let it dry completely before using! It will dry to a nice clear finish. The bottle says 30 minutes, I let it sit overnight!

See, good as new! It isn't as tacky as a brand new mat, which works best for me as I do a lot of intricate vinyl designs that are a pain to remove if the mat is too tacky.

No comments:

Post a Comment