Thursday, November 22, 2012

Charm pack coasters

This is the second tutorial I promised. My sister liked the coasters I made for my living room, and wanted a set for hers. I hate cutting and measuring, and found that charm pack squares make a perfect coaster. The only cutting I had to do was the batting, or in this case, felt.




Her living room is full of bright colors, so I chose this Moda charm pack to make her coasters. As you can see above, the front and back are all different.

To make a set of six, you'll need 12 charm pack squares, and 6 pieces of batting or felt. I cut my felt about half an inch larger on all sides, so that I can be sure it is the right size.

 Here are the pieces, laid out.
 Now, you'll want to stack your fabric like this:
felt or batting on bottom
charm pack square, right side up
charm pack square, right side down
 Now, sew around all the sides, leaving an opening for turning. I usually start about an inch from one corner, and sew all the way around, leaving about an inch to inch and a half opening. I also sew with a 1/2" seam allowance on the cotton side.
 Now, trim your seam allowances, and clip your corners. Turn right side out, push out the corners and seams, and press.
 This is what is should look like. I have the opening pressed in line with the rest of the sides.
 Topstitch all the way around, using a 1/4" seam. This will close the opening, and add a nice decorative look.
 And the back after topstitching. Repeat this process for the remaining 5 coasters.
 The fronts of the completed set.
And the back of the sets.

These make a great last minute gift, as it only takes a few minutes per coaster. I think this set of 6 took me less than 30 minutes from start to finish. Stack them up, and tie with a pretty ribbon, and you have a gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment