Friday, November 16, 2012

Homemade Gel Air Freshener

With the holidays fast approaching, I have lots of people coming and going. While I love my Scentsy warmers, some of those guests are children. I know the warmer will not burn them, but I really do not relish the idea of cleaning wax from the carpet. So, I usually turn them off, which leaves me needing something to freshen the air in my home.

This time of year, I usually make a batch of gel air fresheners. They make simple gifts, but also make your home smell wonderful.

The recipe is really simple, you'll only need a few ingredients.

  • 1 box plain gelatin 
  • 2 cups water, divided 
  • 15-20 drops fragrance oil, I purchased mine at Hobby Lobby in the Candle Making section.
  • food coloring 
  • 2 tablespoons salt 
  • You will also need a bowl and spoon that you do not use for food preparation. The fragrance oils can cause illness, so it's better to be safe than sorry. I have an old plastic measuring cup that I use for things like this, along with a wooden spoon, marked "Craft Spoon"

Boil 1 cup of water, add food coloring.

In small bowl, combine gelatin(all 4 packages in box) and salt. Stir in boiling water until completely dissolved. Stir slowly to minimize foam.

Add 1 cup cold water, and fragrance oil. Stir well. This is where you will want to add the coloring if you are using it.
Pour into decorative containers. Chill 1-2 hours to set, or allow to sit on counter for a few hours. They will set at room temp. 

Since I was making this one for me, I just used a canister that I bought at the dollar store. You can use any type of container you want, but glass is best. Again, make sure it is not something you use for food preparation. You can also add things to decorate them, such as dehydrated fruit slices, cinnamon sticks, or even silk flowers. 

*The reason for the salt is to help prevent molding. I did a small batch of these last year, and put them into 1/2 cup containers. They dried out before they molded. I would suggest keeping these out of reach of children as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment